Monday, January 12, 2009

Holding Back the Dam




One of the best things about being a pilot is some of the scenery I get to see. Today we were flying a ring route, which is basically just picking up cargo and/or passengers and dropping them off in another location, all day long. We went to our first stop to drop off a General and his entourage, then we had another stop near by. We were flying behind a Chinook and had to fly over a ridgeline. As you can see from the photos, there was a lot of cloud cover on the other side. We were able to eventually break through further away from the mountains, but it was a sight to see.




I flew for almost 8 hours, and it was fun! I am finally starting to feel like a real pilot, rather than just someone who plays dress up to play pilot. I am supposed to fly tomorrow and maybe the day after as well. We will have to see how the weather holds out. On our way home today we were barely able to beat the bad weather into Kandahar. We ran into a rain storm about two miles away from the airfield and we were entering the traffic pattern to land when one of our door gunners saw lightning about two miles off our right side. We got down as fast as we could, and put the aircraft away before all of the worst of the rain came in. It was a full day.


5 comments:

  1. Very cool pictures Paul. I tried to comment just a minute ago but I don't think it worked. Sorry if you get doubles. Did Ben find you this last weekend while he was in Kandahar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your pictures!!! I am so glad you emailed your blog. I will put it on my list so I know when you update it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your pictures are amazing. It is good to see you on facebook and then i got this site from there. How long will you be in Afganastan? I think about you often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Galan, it's Abaidullah from Monterey. Thanks for the email and I will definitely follow the blog. I hope all is safe and please keep me up to date on everything. I will send you an email. My email is actually the other one and not the gmail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, I'll be here for a year, 11 months to go!
    Abaidullah, it's great to hear from you, I'll respond to your e-mail!

    ReplyDelete